Fiona Sims is a food, drink and travel writer with 20 years experience of writing for the UK's top newspapers and magazines.
* started her career in food and drink at Taste magazine, then moved to Inside Hotels magazine as deputy editor, followed by leading hospitality weekly Caterer & Hotelkeeper as interiors & drinks editor, before going freelance. She now divides her time between her home office in London (a hut at the end of her garden), pretending to work in her other home on the Isle of Wight, and travelling the globe.
* has written for many different magazines and newspapers, including The Times, The Telegraph, The Sunday Times, The Guardian, Delicious, Food & Travel, Sphere, Aston Martin magazine, Le Pan, Decanter and The Caterer.
* has extensive editing and commissioning experience, both editorial and commercial, most recently as editor of various in-store drinks magazine titles for Waitrose. Other highlights include content editor posts on luxury food brand websites, such as Maille, and she is editor of a book for Godiva chocolate to be published in 2015. Other editor roles include a lifestyle book called Pantheon for Rolls-Royce, and the best-selling Illustrated Royal Weddings.
* has written three books, Guide to Wine (Parragon) and Wine Made Simple (Marks & Spencer), and her first cookery book, The Boat Cookbook, which was published by Bloomsbury Adlard Coles in April 2014. The Boat Drinks Book is due to be published by Bloomsbury in spring 2017.
* interviewed many of the world's top chefs, food and drink personalities and hoteliers, including Gordon Ramsay, Wolfgang Puck, Charlie Trotter, Alain Ducasse, Ferran Adrià and Elena Arzak.
* travelled to top restaurants with some of the world's most famous chefs - accompanying Heston Blumenthal on his first trip to the legendary El Bulli in Spain
* organized the UK’s first international women’s chef event with top British chef Angela Hartnett - watch the video
* read about some of her jaunts in recent articles through the following links, from her quest for the best artisan producers and winemakers in Oregon for Food & Travel magazine and interviewing the big man himself, legendary chef Heston Blumenthal for The Caterer, to exploring the vertiginous slopes of Prosecco for Decanter magazine and hanging out on a very posh farm in St Kitts for The Times. She also played with fire in Devon for The Telegraph, learning how to cook on a wood-fired oven, and drank a tad too much cider in Normandy for The Times. She opened her little black book to share her favourite places to go in Paris for a glass of wine for Hong Kong glossy Le Pan Magazine, and enjoyed the bling in a story on glamorous Montenegro for Aston Martin magazine
Feature writing (including food-related travel features), 'opinion' and other topical columns, editing and commissioning, trendspotting, interviews with chefs and food producers, winemakers and distillers, restaurant reviews, recipe development (food & cocktails), recipe editing, matching food and wine, beer and other drinks, conducting tastings, copywriting, plus menu and wine list consultancy. Excellent contacts in the food, drink and travel world.
It’s difficult. We sympathise. Despite being an entirely different shape and size we have an uncanny ability to turn up in the same outfit (usually black) and order the same dishes. We both wear glasses, swathe ourselves in scarves and fancy Daniel Craig.
This is the page where we share our current enthusiasms at a greater length than the 140 characters we're allowed on Twitter but more briefly than we burble away about them on our blog.
Where we talk about where we've been, the people we've seen and the things we're excited about right now.
© 2015 Fiona Beckett & Fiona Sims (the2fionas.com), photography © Gary Latham, website by Scend